Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Daddy I Want My Tooth Back


As always - The Cast of Characters

Me (The Daddy)
The Bean: Age 7
The Butterfly: Age 6
The Darling Wife
The Buffett Puppy


The Bean returned from school the other day as pleased as she could be. She showed me a small red box.  Then, she showed me the contents of the box.


The Bean has lost a tooth.  A canine,I think.  I don't know much Biology.  Or much about the French I took, for that matter.



When the DW comes home, The Bean is all smiles and pulling down her lip to highlight the new vacancy.


"I'm going to put this under my pillow," she announces, "and the Tooth Fairy will come and give me money."


The Bean and The Butterfly get off to bed, and now the scheming begins.


"OK, give me some money," says the DW.  "It's time for the Tooth Fairy's visit."


I give her a look like a cartoon character without any money.  


She sighs.  "All I have is a twenty.  The Bean is not getting a twenty.  The tooth market is inflated enough as it is.


She has a very good point.  The Bean and The Butterfly each get five dollars.  Back in my day, I got a dollar.  My parents were the proud recipient of a quarter.



I'm guessing their parents received a warm handshake.


So, we do the unthinkable.  We snatch the tooth and replace it with a handwritten note.  A Tooth Fairy IOU.


The next morning, The Bean brings me the paper and asks what an IOU is.


I explain that the Tooth Fairy must have run out of money and will be back tonight to "settle up".


The Bean is unimpressed.  She wants her tooth back.


Collateral.  









1 comment:

  1. Oh Stu, hilarious!!!

    I made the mistake of doing gold dollars for my kids (2-3 per tooth). They came to expect those gold dollars and sometimes it was a pain in the tushy to find them.

    I love the dry way you write m'dear.

    Stef

    ReplyDelete