Monday, September 28, 2009

Who Are You?

As always - The Cast of Characters


Me (The Daddy)
The Bean: Age 7
The Butterfly: Age 5
The Darling Wife
The Buffett Puppy


Ok, so I won an award!


The Crazy Baby Mama is a fellow blogger and selected mine as one of her 10 favorites.  Thus, the Honest Scrap Award.  Read it out loud.  I think that's the idea.


So, breaking from typical tradition, I'm going to take some time to tell you some things about myself.  This shouldn't be too hard.  I am one of my favorite subjects.  I'm also going to alert you to 10 other blogs written by people more talented than myself.


1) I was born in a cross-fire hurricane (Jumpin' Jack Flash - Rolling Stones)

Actually I was born in Georgia Baptist Hospital during the Summer of Love.  The only drugs I got to do in the Sixties were Baby Aspirin.



2) A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - (A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - Elvis Presley)

In the year 2000, I found out the hard way that I am epileptic.  After ten or so doctors, I finally found one who could control my seizures and the resulting depression.  I take eleven pills a day, but I really love my life, my wife and my family.


3) My mama loves me. She loves me. She'd get down on her knees and hug me - (Loves Me Like a Rock - Paul Simon)



To this day, my mother is my best friend we talk several times a week and she begins every phone conversation with 'What are you doing?'.  So much so, that I now launch preemptive queries when the phone rings.


4) Take this job and shove it.  I ain't workin' here no more - (Take This Job and Shove It - Johnny Paycheck)


I have been on both sides of this equation more than a few times.  The great thing about being a writer is no one can sack you.  Of course, no one has to pay you either.



5) And I haven't seen my girl for fifteen thousand miles - (Mekong - Refreshments)


One of my recent employment stints found me working in Brisbane, Australia, exactly 12 time zones away.  I lived in a house with a crazy Serbian, a Swedish college student, and a New Zealander, but I was never quite sure what she did (other than lots of pills).  We were the most international house on Ross Street.


Two reasons I came back after only 6 months was the fact that The Bean and The Butterfly asked The DW if I was dead and The DW advised me that she could handle being a single mother.


6) When you say Bud, you've said it all - (Budweiser theme song)


My father worked at an Anheuser-Busch distributorship for 36 years. When I moved into the dorms Freshman year, everyone showed up in their vans, their station wagons, their U-Hauls.  I had a beer truck full of all my junk.


7) Your Mother is the only other woman for me - (Little Miss Magic - Jimmy Buffett)


Before The Bean was born, I could best be described as a selfish ____.  But something happened watching that nine week preemie develop that caused a change in me.  When she emerged just a hair over three pounds and spent nearly 2 months in the NICU, it became apparent just how precious and fragile life really is.


Obviously, I've had to amend the lyrics now that The Butterfly has joined our ranks, but with these three women in my life, I shall never need another.


8) I wish I was a girl so you'd believe me - (I Wish I Was a Girl - Counting Crows)


Not really.  Just seeing if you're reading this far.


9) So I give her the car keys. She helps me to bed. - (Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton)



I am convinced this song is about my DW helping her drunk husband up the stairs.  Lousy wine!!!


10) Maybe the last time, I don't know - (The Last Time - The Rolling Stones)


Not likely.  I am having way too much fun writing this blog. 

Now my awards - 

The Crazy Baby Mama

Ricki Schulz

Charlotte's Babblings

Life Between Naps

Uncool Mom


This Ain't No Effin' Mom Blog


Out-Numbered is Jason Mayo






 

4 comments:

  1. thanks :) i so enjoy reading your blog, and getting a shout-out from you means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the award bro. First time here. Great stuff. I'm a new fan for sure. We certainly have some things in common. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love writing the blog...and I'll always shout out The Crazy Baby Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending you back some more love:


    I left an award for you at The Crazy Baby Mama

    ReplyDelete